How to Setup a UAS Operation at your Utility
- Stanley McHann, Senior Research Engineer, NRECA
Technology around drones continues to move faster than Moore’s Law. The imagery drones can capture, payloads they can carry, and the diverse missions they can fly are based on the technological advancement in the drone field. Airframes, controllers, navigation, batteries, imagery sensors, and software are all advancing at an almost feverish pace. Where this is exciting, it is also a challenge for utilities to select the right platform and sensors for the missions their drone or drones need to fly. In this session, we will focus how to setup a UAS program at your utility. From how to choose which mission to focus on first for your utility, to standard operating procedures, this session will provide you the foundation to go back and start your UAS program!
- Field types, airframes, controllers, first person view, optics, battery chemistry and temperature
- Standard Operating Procedures
- Applying for FAA waivers. Do’s and Don’ts
- Licensing, certifications, registration and safety
- Contracting for UAS services