Former All Pro Captain, Denver Broncos
Former Denver Broncos Captain and All-Pro Linebacker Karl Mecklenburg rose from being a college walk-on and a 12th round draft pick to a pro career that included six Pro Bowl and three Super Bowl appearances. Considered the NFL’s most versatile player, Karl played all seven defensive front positions. Bronco coaches wanted him at the point of attack and would move him throughout the game. There were many games where Mecklenburg played all seven positions over the course of a single game. In 2001, Karl was inducted into the Denver Broncos Ring of Fame and the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame. Karl has been a semifinalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame each of the last five years.
Success is overcoming obstacles on the way to your dreams. It doesn’t happen by accident. There is a pattern, a template that these accomplishments have in common. The lessons life in the NFL taught him about teamwork, courage, dedication, desire, honesty and forgiveness and goal setting are his “Six Keys to Success”.
- Teamwork – leadership is the ultimate form of teamwork, “think we not me”
- Courage to try new things and the courage to be decisive
- Dedication – hard work, constant learning, and refusing to quit
- Desire – your dreams, your passion, your mission
- Honesty and Forgiveness, with others and in self-evaluation
- Goal Setting – the short term, reasonable, specific steps that take you to your desires.